2024-2025 School Year
Mondays AND Wednesdays
This is math for the 8th grade student taught as preparation for Algebra 1. A strong 7th grader may take this course upon teacher recommendation and approval of a UHC administrator.
Note: Parents are required to own the solutions guide, review/reteach concepts on non-class days, and check and correct all practice sets.
August homework is assigned and required.
To be successful in this class:
Use a math notebook to take notes in class and complete 30-40 minutes of homework each weekday, with an average of 30-40 problems assigned after each class. Tests will take an average of an hour. This class is fast-paced and requires dedication to daily homework and parent involvement.
Students may also be enrolled in a Wednesday-only Math Lab if additional help with homework is needed.
Summer and Christmas break homework will be assigned and is required.
Grades: 8th Grade
Fees: $360 per year
UHC Intermediate Math/Math Transition or equivalent course
Sections Offered: 1st Hour, 2nd Hour, 4th Hour - Nelson
Note: textbooks should be ordered early to complete required summer assignments.
- Binder with loose-leaf notebook paper
- Sharpened pencils with erasers
- Calculator, scientific (teacher recommends this one HERE)
- Graph paper
1st Hour, 2nd Hour, 4th Hour - Nelson
Meet Lori Nelson
- B.S. Biology, Lander University
- M.S. Life Sciences, University of Maryland
- Lowcountry Day School, Science Teacher
- High School Biology, Chemistry, Physical Science
- Middle School Life Science, General Science, and Earth Science
- Tutored students in Science and Math
- Homeschooled my middle school children
Began teaching at UHC in 2023.